Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Into the Wild: Review


So last Friday, desperate to make something of a weekend which I had to work the entirety of, Melissa and I decided to check out the new film from Sean Penn called into the wild. The trailer and website looked great, and the story seemed interesting. The basic plot revolves around a guy named Chris who gets fed up with the materialistic society he lives in and drops everything to hitchhike across the country, ultimately landing in Alaska. Halfway through I realized that this is was the story about what my dad had talked about doing for years - just going into the woods and living alone amongst nature.
With a running time of almost 3 hours, this picture began to drag right after it becomes obvious that there is no real conflict in the film. The main character, although based on real life events was hard to sympathize with. Just like a roman candle that shoots sparkles and dies, this movie traveled in a pretty straight line to the end where I felt a little enlightened, but also really tired. I think this one is better as a rental. Interesting philosophy but dry entertainment. I'd give it 2/5 stars, that is if I had a rating system of my own.

No comments: