Saturday, May 24, 2008

DA da DA DA!! Indy makes his return to the big screen



I went into this movie really excited. I had high hopes. Maybe too high. I mean come on - its been 20 years since this franchise was in theaters, but the impression it left on my generation is profound. Would it live up to my expectations?

I went to see this film on Friday, a day after its long anticipated release. It opened well, everything felt right, but then, it happened. About 3/4 of the way through the picture, after stretching the already loose sense of reality that is the Indiana Jones legacy, Shia LeBouf got snarled in a dense tangle of vines and began to swing from one vine to another, along with a family of monkeys. At that point, I was taken out of the film. Really? He's really swinging like Tarzan above the jungle? And he lands perfectly amidst an ongoing car chase/battle? Give me a break. I had to laugh. At that moment, the movie jumped the shark and the rest of the ocean and never really looked back. The plot continued to get more and more ridiculous and as much as I enjoyed watching it, I dont think I would sit through it again. Or maybe my hopes were a little too high.

No comments: